Vehicle spray painters use spray guns to spray paint onto the bodywork of vehicles and other items, to change the colour or to repaint scratched or damaged paintwork.
When repainting damaged paintwork of a vehicle, they prepare the body work by removing dirt or grease; they smooth parts that are rough or have been panel beaten; remove old paint with sandpaper or paint-removing chemicals; they cover the rest of the bodywork with paper in order to protect it; then they apply a preliminary coating of primer and a thin layer of primer-filler.
Spray painters mix paints until exactly the same shade as the rest of the vehicle is obtained before the final four or five coatings of the required colour are applied. Paint has to be applied evenly and each coat is allowed to dry thoroughly.
- being able to see the results of a good job immediately
- good earnings
- the possibility of starting own business
- limited opportunities for promotion
- health hazards inherent in the work
- having to stand for long periods
A spray-painter should:
- be at least 16 years old;
- have good eyesight and colour sense;
- be able to distinguish between various shades of the same colour;
- have balanced eye-hand coordination;
- be able to stand or crouch for long periods;
- work very accurately, carefully and neatly;
- have patience.
Grade 9 Certificate.
Some employers demand higher qualifications.
Compulsory Subjects: None
Recommended Subjects: Mathematics, Mechanical Technology
Spray-painters qualify after a 3-year learnership. Artisan status may be obtained either after the learnership period has lapsed, or earlier by passing a voluntary or compulsory trade test conducted by the Department of Labour at the Central Organization for Trade Testing at Olifantsfontein.
The learner spray-painters learn the aspects of their trade through practical experience under the supervision of skilled artisans and, in addition, through theoretical courses at a FET college or correspondence course at UNISA (T)
- Automotive body repair shops
- Specialist spray painting firms
- Motor vehicle manufacturers
- The aerospace industry
- Manufacturing industry where articles are made and spray painted
- Self-employment, with enough experience, can practise trade on a private basis or start own business
P O Box 61826
Tel: (011) 551-5202 Fax: 0866 730017